The workforce is usually the highest annual outgoing in most social sector organisations. An affordable and fit-for-purpose structure is an essential for a social sector organisation and the economic setting and rapidly-changing approaches to government funding of the sector over the last few years have resulted in changes in the shape, cost and nature of many workforces, often involving considerable downsizing.
Contractual changes in services, changes in the level of funding and donations, incoming or outgoing TUPE transfers and pilots and projects around trading or revenue generation opportunities often lead to a requirement for workforces changes. Sometimes this means a reduction in the number of employees, often achieved through redundancies, although all attempts to avoid this are usually made first. Sometimes it means changes to the terms and conditions of the workforce, rather than downsizing. Sometimes it can mean training and re-skilling.
Any changes to employment terms can lead to loss of morale and even resistance, contention and ultimately employment tribunals. Professional advice in these circumstances is often viewed as essential. We can add value through:
- Development of Redundancy policies
- Workforce planning and planning of timelines for change
- Advice on strategies for avoiding and minimising redundancies and for effective redeployment of existing staff
- Developing a business case and a communication plan for change
- Appointment of staff representatives where appropriate
- Preparation for, and attendance, advice and note taking at, informal and formal consultations meetings with employees upto and including redundancy dismissal
- Template documents, meeting scripts and letters
- Advice and support
- Training and coaching for managers
- Post restructure planning and performance management
- CV writing, interview skills training and career coaching – see our GROW services
Please contact us in confidence for more information and to discuss this further.